Just a quick note to remind myself to blog about what I am investigating. Currently I am looking at what it takes to rip my DVDs. I like having them on my PC so they are available via my Media Center interface. All my movies without having to worry about the actual disks.
Last night I spent some time messing with DVDFab Platinum to find the right settings to get a single file that renders in Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center. The nice thing is that I don’t have to use separate software to handle the encryption because DVDFab handles that. However, I still have not found the right settings to get the files onto the PC. I tried to use the VOB pass through setting but I cannot fast forward and rewind movies which is not cool. When I have everything worked out I will post the entire process here.
I did learn about one new piece of software, handbrake (from www.handbrake.fr), but it looks like I will need AnyDVD to get through the encryption. I will post results once I investigate.
I am such a geek. I can’t help myself. I love learning new things, from new technology to a new word to new species of life I just love the excitement of learning something new. I also love to solve problems and help others. My intent is to marry all those things I love to do into this super blog where I can record all the things that I have done to help friends solve their problems. Mostly this is related to computer software problems but I don’t want to limit myself to just that. I will be looking into computer hardware, home theater, basic electronics among other things. Once I have my solutions published I can easily refer my friends to my blog when they need help. I am trying to fill in a hole where many people that offer tech support assume the users knows more than they actually do. I want my help to be easy to use, accessible and applicable to everyone’s lives.
So here are some things that I have been intending to do for a while. I am going to jot them down here with the hope that I won’t forget them and can refer back to this posting when I need an idea.
- How to rip my CDs to my PCs in a quick, efficient manner.
- How to get my songs on my PC onto my Zune.
- How to register your own domain with GoDaddy.com.
- How to use Windows Live Mail as your email provider using your personal domain.
- How to download and install the Windows Live Suite.
- How and why to create a Windows Live ID.
- How to import photos using Windows Live Photo Gallery.
- How to setup Windows Live Mail as your email client.
- How to tag your photos using Windows Live Photo Gallery.
- How to create your own blog at WordPress.com.
- How to Windows Live Writer to easily post to your blog.
- How to setup your XBox 360 to view your photos on your Windows XP or Windows Vista computer.
- How to use a newsgroup to get help with a Microsoft Product.
- How to get your DVDs on your Zune.
- How to edit commercials out of TV shows recorded on Windows Vista Ultimate Media Center PC.
- How to create your own website.
- How to create a logo.
- Create a movie
I am sure there is more for me to add but that is all for now.